Due to my much-beloved assistant Ozge heading back to Europe, I’m looking for someone Canberra-based to help with science communication events and marketing on a casual basis, for my solo business Phil Up On Science.
Primary among these is my science in the pub series, which has run in 5 cities and across many subjects (physics, maths, health, biology, environment and more). Obviously these have taken a hit during the pandemic, but as things pick up you would have the chance to build the program back up again. If you wish to take the role and run then there are also opportunities for expanding training offerings, and digital content monetisation.
The base level would be around two hours a week (more closer to gigs) – but there is room for more hours if you wish to contribute to the growth in any way that you can convince me will be successful.
I’m looking for someone who can:
- Nail event preparation – Keep track of speaker line ups, distribute information and answer questions (not always intelligent ones), and politely harass late people.
- Stage-manage an event seamlessly – Run AV presentations (powerpoint, PDF, videos) etc for presenters, keeping a cool head under pressure.
- Distribute event promotional material through websites, social media and email networks, and think up new creative channels.
- Pick up the phone and call potential sponsors and clients, even if you’ve never met them before.
- Put up with me being a little vague and forgetful sometimes.
- Who might like to work with an experienced science communicator and maybe get some tips on how the business works.
How to apply
Send a brief email to email@example.com and tell me why you’d like to work with me, and the highlights of your skills and experience, strengths and weaknesses, by midnight Friday 1st April.